Saturday 26 April 2008

saturday night facts of life

I know, it's not Saturday Night yet, but I do have to work later, so afternoon will have to suffice.
Finally, on of the reviews I promised: Kraak & Smaak's Plastic People. This one type of album that really grows on you the more you listen to it, at least in my opinion. Since the last time I wrote about them, they've been getting rather more attention,(mainly because Perez Hilton recommended them and described them as "Amy Winehouse meets Moby" and grudgingly I have to admit is true, sort of) which is good, because Plastic People will definitely get a high ranking on my future Top Whatever Number of Albums of 2008. As I do focus on certain genres sometimes - which I'll improve, believe me - it's refreshing to have a record which features a certain amount of genres combined and does indeed sound good. We all know that can go very wrong. Anyway, Plastic People do cover a lot: 70/80's funk in songs such as Bobby & Whitney or Squeeze Me, Reggae and R'N'B vocals in That's My Word or instrumental electro songs such as Cornered or California Roll. It's amazing when listening to a song  and then get surprised because it doesn't end as you think it would and that is very rare. Of course, all in all it's an electro record with excursions in other genres. I do hope this is the year of Kraak & Smaak and if not, well, Holland's not that far of a drive from here, if they don't get to play in Germany. You can see I'm very excited about this album and even if you didn't like Bobby & Whitney in my last post, please give it a try. Plastic People was released here in Germany yesterday and the rest of Europe during the past week. If you haven't already, go purchase the record @ Jalapeno Records
MP3: Kraak & Smaak - Man Of The Constant Sorrow
MP3: Kraak & Smaak - Thats My Word.

Alright, in other news we got a fantastic Goose remix by US Dj Prepmode also known as Dj Simple Simon. Also his own song Warhol, really cool electro beats and if I'm not mistaken, it's a mash-up which features snippets if Justice's DVNO. I'm im a bit of a hurry, otherwise I'd figure out the other parts, but if you do, let me know. Please check out his myspace for further songs.
MP3: Prepmode - Warhol
MP3: Goose - British Mode (prepmode's heavy on the kick rmx)

The last one today is Database's remake of George Benson's Turn You Love Around. The song is featured in Buffet Libre's Rewind Project, a mixtape which features remixes, edits and covers of 80's songs with bands such as Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, Dragonette or The Toxic Avenger. The whole thingy will be available sometime in June. Looking forward to it.
MP3: Database - Turn Your Love Around (Benson Cover/Rewind Project)

 - I'm off, have to earn money..

No comments: